Introduction: What is St Ann's College?
St Ann's College provides an inspiring environment where opportunities for education, broadly understood, are promoted. Students from diverse backgrounds are encouraged to contribute to a happy social atmosphere where they can realise their full potential. The development of judgement, personal responsibility and consideration for others are high priorities.
Our Vision: An international community inspired to excellence through learning.
Our Mission: To provide a secure collegiate environment that promotes the highest standards of academic achievement and personal development for the benefit of the individual and the wider community.
Our Values: Integrity, courage, responsibility, goodwill, self-discipline, trust, loyalty, respect, tolerance, altruism, enthusiasm, fun.
The College was established in 1939 and affiliated with the University of Adelaide as a non-denominational university college for women. It opened to students in 1947 after the war. In 1973 the Council decided that the College should be co-residential, and there are now approximately equal numbers of male and female students.
The original property at 187 Brougham Place was bequeathed by Mr Sidney Wilcox. The adjoining premises at 191 Brougham Place, 292 and 298 Melbourne Street were later acquired and a spacious dining hall and common room built in 1961. The latter were named in recognition of the service to the College of Dr Helen Mayo. Following the 2001-4 construction of the Dame Roma Mitchell Building and major refurbishments, two-thirds of student rooms have an ensuite bathroom and all have air conditioning and free high-speed internet access.